Empty

gone

My womb emptied
And we held you for a brief moment
Marveling at your delicate, beautiful features.
Your dark hair,
Your long toes,
Your tiny nose,
Your perfect lips.

Too soon our arms were emptied,
No longer able to hold you,
To smell the top of your head,
To stroke your sweet skin,
Or kiss your soft cheeks.

Because you were also emptied,
Your little soul gone to that next place
Where I’m told there are no tears,
No suffering,
No pain.

A place of peace.
A place of joy.

A place that is full.

(Our son Elliott was stillborn on June 4 at 6:52am. He was absolutely beautiful and we miss him desperately. Thank you for your prayers and kind thoughts as we mourn this loss.)

Advertisements

About Alise

I’m a lot of things, but more than anything else, I’m a woman in progress. I’m finding that out more and more all the time. Knitting is just a series of knots. I hope as my tangled thoughts are put out there, they will weave together into something that adds a little bit of beauty to the world.
This entry was posted in Grief, Poetry and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

25 Responses to Empty

1. jennybek says:

Oh I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and your family.

2. Laurie says:

Beautiful poem. Thank you for letting us know. Praying for you at this time.

3. Melanie S says:

My heart aches and breaks with you in places that only loss mothers can know. My healing verses are found in the 2nd passage of Psalm 139. May comfort surround you like never before.

Where can I go from your Spirit?
    Where can I flee from your presence?
    8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
    if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
    9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
    if I settle on the far side of the sea,
    10 even there your hand will guide me,
    your right hand will hold me fast.
    11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me
    and the light become night around me,”
    12 even the darkness will not be dark to you;
    the night will shine like the day,
    for darkness is as light to you.

4. Sabina says:

This poem is beautiful and my thoughts are with you.

5. There aren’t any.. words to console you and Rich. Only our Heavenly Father wrapping His arms around you both. Loving you through this deepest valley.

6. Heather says:

I am so very, very sorry for your loss.

7. Tsedrait says:

I am so, so sorry, Alise.

8. Kari says:

Oh, Jesus, Alise, I am so sorry.

9. I’ve been thinking of you a lot these last few days & praying for you.

10. kkevans1 says:

I am so sorry for your loss

11. I am so sorry, Alise. Grieving along with you.

12. Dear God in heaven – have mercy. There are no words, Alise. No words. Only tears and more tears. I am so very sorry.

13. My heart breaks for you! You will both be in my prayers!

14. Jeanne Kuskowski says:

So sorry for your loss

15. Pingback: Bloggerhood Etc. 6/9/14 | Fatherhood Etc.

16. Chrystal says:

Oh Alise, I am so, so sorry. I am praying for you!

17. sheila0405 says:

I’m heartbroken over your loss. There are no words.

18. I will hold him in my heartfelt prayers. And your heart, too. Much love to you. And, I am so sorry.

19. So sorry Alise. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

20. Barbara Kelley says:

I am so sorry.

21. I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope the tears that we shed for you lessen the ones that you cry.

22. Pingback: A Picture is Worth a Thousand Breaths | Knitting Soul

23. Pingback: What I’m Supposed To Feel | Knitting Soul

24. Pingback: One Year at Knitting Soul | Knitting Soul

25. Mark says:

As we all held that little guy, we knew he was being taken care of by at least four in Heaven: Jesus, Mana, Gram, and Kack. Not sure in that order….just kidding