Welcome to Knitting Soul

'welcome fish' photo (c) 2011, woodleywonderworks - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0/

Hi there! Thanks for making the journey. Again.

Changing blogs is always kind of a mixed bag. There’s the excitement of a fresh start. Deciding on a new name, picking out a new template, clicking the “new post” button and realizing it’s not just A new post but THE new post.

Of course, there’s also fear. What if no one from the old blog comes over? What if I don’t have what it takes to start over? What if my past means that I am no longer qualified to write about issues of faith or love or friendship?

But I’m a writer. Not exclusively, but it’s a big part of who I am, and when I ignore that, I feel…off. Kind of like Marty in Back to the Future when he starts to disappear. Not gone, but not all there, and it has an impact on the other parts of me, and those effects are rarely positive.

I wasn’t sure what to call this new space. I knew I wanted something different from what I’d used in the past. Something that reflected me, but that also allowed for me to write whatever I wanted, which was important. My experiences will definitely affect my content, but I never want to be tied to a single topic.

My dear friend Tamara suggested something about soup or knitting, and that really appealed to me. And while soup is one of my very favorite things and I don’t make nearly enough time for knitting, I couldn’t let go of the idea of knitting. It mostly is just fancy knot tying, but if you do it correctly, it can be absolutely beautiful. My experiences, good and bad, have shaped who I am, and that shapes the words that I will share. I hope that the tangles that I have made, even if not always skillfully woven, can still create beauty.

So it’s time to begin again…again. Thank you for traveling with me thus far. I look forward to seeing where the path takes us.

Advertisements

About Alise

I’m a lot of things, but more than anything else, I’m a woman in progress. I’m finding that out more and more all the time. Knitting is just a series of knots. I hope as my tangled thoughts are put out there, they will weave together into something that adds a little bit of beauty to the world.
This entry was posted in Writing. Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Welcome to Knitting Soul

1. Tamára says:

Hooray! Can’t wait to see what beauty you’ll knit here.

2. Excited for your new space, new insight, and continued writing.

3. melinda says:

Alise, it’s really nice to have you back around and writing. Thanks for inviting the rest of us along.

4. happydaydeadfish says:

oooh…so glad you are writing again! I’m going to crochet a row in your honor!

5. sheila0405 says:

I found you! I like the new format.

6. Dani says:

So glad to see you back writing again! Been thinking about you. ❤

7. Bekka says:

Welcome back! Looking forward to this new part of the journey. <3.

• Alise says:

Me too! It’s always a little scary taking those first steps, but we can’t know what’s ahead if we don’t GO ahead.

8. The knitting analogy is beautiful, friend. Looking forward to seeing what beauty you knit here. ❤

9. Anna says:

How cool! I’ve been missing the Alise perspective something awful. So glad you’re writing again! Love you 🙂

10. abbiewatters says:

I’ve missed your writing, and I’m so glad you’re back. I’m also pleased that you also share my interest in knitting!

• Alise says:

I really love knitting, though I just haven’t taken enough time to get good at it. Hard to find time for all of the things we like, right?

11. Clunkienz says:

You’re just one letter away from Knitting Soup! Is that a coincidence?
    Great to see you back 🙂

12. Rosanna says:

Alise, you probably have no idea how encouraging you are to me. For so many reasons I can’t get into here. Just know that even though I’m a quiet follower, I’m here. And I appreciate your vulnerability, your rawness, your honesty and your grace towards even yourself.

So glad to see you again,
    Rosanna

13. Becki says:

Yay. Just…yay.

14. Anna says:

Great to see your new space. I know the feeling of starting anew.